The perfect dog bed for a Golden Retriever is one that provides the best night’s sleep. While your Golden won’t roll out of bed with bloodshot eyes looking for their cup of coffee if their bed isn’t up to snuff, you can tell when they’re not sleeping comfortably. If they’re constantly moving, trying to get comfortable, or get up and leave their bed to sleep elsewhere, their current bed is probably not the best option.
Similarly, if your Golden pooch seems stiff or has a hard time getting up in the morning, it’s probably best to treat your canine companion to a new bed. And if they choose to destroy it rather than sleep on it, it’s definitely time for a new dog bed for your Golden Retriever. Dr. Chyrle Bonk, our vet advisor for Pets Digest, selected the top five dog beds for Golden Retrievers. She chose the Big Barker 7” Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed as the best overall choice because it has been proven to help large dogs obtain better rest and sleep. Read how she chose the top 5.
Golden Retrievers require top-notch care from grooming to bedding to toys and exercise. From the time your Golden is a puppy and crate training begins, to the time he’s a senior and joint issues arise, consider the best dog bed for your favorite furry.
Our Vet’s Top 5 Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers
Here are the top picks from our veterinarian. Compare the ratings and key features of the different beds.
|Editor’s Picks||Brand||Rating||Style||Bolster||Machine Washable|
|Best Overall||Big Barker 7” Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed||cushion|
|Best Budget||Bedsure Large Orthopedic Foam Dog Bed||cushion|
|Best Orthopedic||Furhaven Orthopedic Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pet Beds||cushion|
|Best Elevated||Veehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed||cot|
|Most Durable||Kuranda All-Aluminum Chewproof Dog Bed||cot|
*Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5 and based on reviews, feedback, and opinions of actual customers
In This Article
Who Should Buy a Dog Bed for a Golden Retriever
- You have a puppy. Or are about to get a puppy. Help prevent future joint mobility issues by investing in a dog bed for your Golden Retriever when he’s a puppy. Keep in mind your pup’s adult size when selecting a bed.
- Your large dog needs a (new) bed. Maybe your Golden Retriever chewed through his last bed, you adopted an older dog, or your pooch just never had his own bed before. Large dogs need a solid bed for support and comfort.
Who Should Not Buy a Dog Bed for a Golden Retriever
- You have a small dog. If your dog is a small pooch, then large, heavy dog beds for Golden Retrievers may be too much for your little furry. Your small dog may be more comfortable in a smaller, cozier dog bed.
- You have an extra-large dog. Dog beds for Golden Retrievers are available in large sizes and most Retrievers do well on any size over large. But if you have an extra-large dog like a Great Dane, you may need a dog bed designed to support more weight than a Golden.
Research Tips (from a Veterinarian)
At first glance, a dog bed may seem like just a dog bed, but Golden Retrievers have some particular needs you’ll want to meet in order for them to have the best night’s sleep possible. Golden Retrievers are a large breed dogs and they need a large bed. They’re also prone to joint issues, especially with age, so a thick, supportive bed is a must. Goldens have a thick haircoat that can make them uncomfortably warm during hot weather, so a cooling or elevated dog bed may be best. And some can be destructive, so durability and washability should be priorities as well. Be sure to do adequate research on the dog bed you are considering purchasing to look for key features and ask your friends, family, or veterinarian if they have any recommendations on dog beds for Golden Retrievers.
- Size – Golden Retrievers are big pups and they need a bed that will accommodate them. Consider the length, width, and depth of the dog bed for your Golden Retriever. Larger or heavier Goldens should have thicker beds so they don’t sink and end up resting on the floor. Measure your dog’s length and height, and buy a dog bed just a bit bigger. If your pup likes to sprawl out when she sleeps, go up a size.
- Shape – Similar to considering size, pick a bed shape that will make your dog more comfortable. Goldens who like to sleep tightly curled may like a circular or donut-shaped dog bed. For Golden Retrievers who like to stretch out, consider a rectangular dog bed.
- Thickness – Golden Retrievers are large dogs, weighing up to 75 pounds in adulthood, so they need a cushion that will support them. Memory foam is a great option, especially for older Goldens. Memory foam supports their joints while helping them rise off the bed more easily than from the floor. Aim for at least 4 inches of thickness, but thicker is better.
- Durability – Large dogs, such as Golden Retrievers, can be hard on stuff, especially if they’re chewers or diggers. Select a thick, tightly woven fabric that is tough against chewing and scratching. Consider a non-slip back to the dog bed to prevent your pooch from pushing the bed all around the house.
- Washable – Opt for a machine washable dog bed (or cover) for Golden Retrievers whenever possible. Most dog beds come with a zip-off cover that easily launders in order to remove hair, smells, and stains.
- Waterproof – Whether your Golden Retriever is a water dog, elderly with incontinence, or enjoys a regular bath, having a waterproof dog bed for your Golden Retriever is invaluable. A Golden’s thick hair takes a while to dry and a wet bed that isn’t waterproof may encourage mold and mildew growth.
- Climate – A Golden Retriever’s thick hair also makes it easy for them to overheat in warmer climates or environments. Invest in a cooling or elevated dog bed if your Golden is a warm sleeper.
How Much Do They Cost?
Between $75 and $300
Dog beds for Golden Retrievers typically cost between $75 to $300, depending on the exact size, shape, and type of Golden Retriever dog bed you choose. You may find dog beds for Goldens in the $30 to $50 range, as well as over $300.
Dog beds for Golden Retrievers can be a huge investment, so be sure you’re buying one that will fit your new puppy into adulthood. Most dog bed companies will give you a trial period with the possibility of a full refund if your dog doesn’t like it. Try as many beds as possible until you’re satisfied that you chose the right one.
Our Methodology: Why Trust Pets Digest
From what I’ve learned in the veterinary profession and from personal experience, I selected the top five dog beds for Golden Retrievers based on several factors, such as size, shape, durability, maintenance, and other features, such as the elevation of the dog bed and its cover. It’s important to research the type of dog bed you want for your Golden Retriever to ensure he gets the best night’s sleep possible. – Dr. Chyrle Bonk
The Best Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers: Full Reviews
The Big Barker 7” Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed comes in three sizes for your Golden Retriever – large, extra large, and giant. From 48 inches by 30 inches (large) to 60 inches by 48 inches (giant), the Big Barker dog bed for Golden Retrievers features a 7-inch foam height for your pooch to be elevated off the floor. Available in a burgundy, charcoal gray, chocolate, or khaki color, the soft and durable cover of the dog bed is made from micro-suede and is easy enough to clean – just throw it in the washing machine.
Created with memory foam and featuring a 10-year warranty, the American-made Big Barker dog bed for Golden Retrievers is handmade by folks out of Pennsylvania. Three layers of foam make up the bed – 3 inches of support foam sandwiched between layers of 2-inch comfort foam, giving your Golden both cushion and stability. Clinically proven by University of Pennsylvania researchers to help mobility in large dogs weighing more than 70 pounds, the Big Barker dog bed doesn’t flatten over time so the bed can grow with your Golden.
- Thick, supportive memory foam
- Machine washable
- Multiple sizes and colors
- Doesn’t feature a bolster
- Is not waterproof
When you’re looking for a decent dog bed for your Golden Retriever but are on a tight budget, check out the Bedsure Large Orthopedic Foam Dog Bed. It’s our vet’s best budget pick due to size and comfort. Made with an egg-crate style support foam, the Bedsure dog bed is available in multiple sizes, and is able to accommodate Goldens with the large size or bigger. The Golden sizes range from 36 inches by 27 inches (large) to 54 inches by 44 inches (extra, extra large) and feature a thickness of 3 inches, except for the extra, extra large, which is 4 inches.
The Bedsure orthopedic dog bed for Golden Retrievers helps support your dog’s weight and keeps her off the floor. The cover of the dog bed is removable and reversible, with Sherpa fleece on one side and Oxford fabric on the other – good for keeping your Golden warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The cover is also machine washable, making it easy to keep clean.
- Reversible bed cover
- Machine washable cover
- Is not waterproof
- Doesn’t have a bolster
Our vet advisor, Dr. Chyrle Bonk chose the Furhaven Orthopedic Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pet Beds as the best orthopedic dog bed for Golden Retrievers. Using a medical-grade orthopedic foam, this dog bed helps support your Golden’s pressure points, enabling better sleep. The design of the foam – similar to egg crate foam – helps increase air flow so the bed doesn’t become too warm. Available in jumbo and jumbo plus size for Golden Retrievers, choose from 44 inches by 35 inches with a 4-inch height for up to 95 pounds or 53 inches by 42 inches with a 5-inch height for up to 125 pounds.
Available in a wide range of two-tone colors, the Furhaven dog bed for Golden Retrievers features a cover that’s removable and machine washable, and is made from a combination of plush faux fur and durable woven fabric. American-made, the Furhaven dog bed has an L-style or U-style bolster filled with recycled fluff. The bolster gives your Golden pooch a place to rest his head, support his neck, and cradle his body for a more comfortable night of sleep.
- Medical-grade foam
- L- or U-style bolster
- Machine washable cover
- Not waterproof
For Goldens who like to be up off the floor, the Veehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed is our top choice for the best elevated dog bed for Golden Retrievers. Portable, the cot-style dog bed is easy to put together and take apart so you can take it with you when you travel. Made with a powder-coated steel frame, it’s also lightweight, but it’s durable enough to support up to 150 pounds. Choose from either a large or extra-large dog bed for your Golden Retriever – 42 inches by 30 inches, with a 7-inch height – or 49 inches by 33 inches, with a 9-inch height.
The Veehoo elevated dog bed features a breathable mesh top to the cot, which allows for well-ventilated airflow to keep your Golden Retriever comfortable in all temperatures. It’s easy to clean and is even machine washable when you remove it from the frame. Available in multiple colors, this elevated dog bed is both tear- and scratch-resistant, in case your Golden pooch is a bit feisty. Outfitted with non-slip, rubber feet, the Veehoo elevated dog bed is good for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Lightweight and portable
- Breathable mesh fabric
- Easy to clean
- Requires assembly
- Doesn’t have a bolster
For the rambunctious Golden Retriever – the one who likes to play on his bed, move his bed, chew his bed, or is just overall tough on his things, we chose the Kuranda All-Aluminum Chewproof Dog Bed as the most durable dog bed for Golden Retrievers. Made with a stainless steel frame in Maryland USA, this chewproof dog bed supports up to 250 pounds of pooch, distributing their weight evenly across the bed. The breathable mesh fabric is tear- and scratch-resistant for the Golden pup who likes to dig and nest, or move their bed around the house.
The Kuranda elevated cot dog bed for Golden Retrievers measures 50 inches by 36 inches total, with a sleeping area of 46 inches by 32 inches. The leg joints are reinforced for stability. You can use the dog bed inside or outside; the frame is rustproof and the cot mesh top is easy to clean – just wipe it down. The Kuranda elevated dog bed for Golden Retrievers comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Chewproof, rustproof, and tear-resistant
- Easy to clean
- Reinforced leg joints
- Not machine washable
- Doesn’t have a bolster
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Golden Retrievers need a bed?
Where should Golden Retrievers sleep at night?
Should Golden Retrievers sleep in a crate?
Do Goldens like to cuddle?
Pets Digest uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
- AKC Staff. Where Do Dogs Sleep at Night? Akc.org. Published August 8, 2013. Accessed May 21, 2022