Whether you want a waterproof dog bed that’s suitable for use in the yard or on camping trips or one that will keep the interior clean in the cases of incontinence or excessive drooling, you’ll find options out there to suit you and your pet. These beds come in a range of shapes, sizes and materials, so there should be a good option for your canine companion.
Our vet advisor, Dr. Jennifer Coates, chose these waterproof beds based on her extensive pet care knowledge. She chose the K9 Ballistics Tough Bolster Nesting Dog Bed as her top pick thanks to its durability and its comfortable yet supportive memory foam interior. Read how she chose the top 5.
Our Vet’s Top 5 Waterproof Dog Beds
Here are the top picks from our veterinarian. Compare the ratings and features of different models.
|Vet’s Picks||Model||Rating||Memory Foam||Machine Washable||Sizes|
|Best Overall||K9 Ballistics Tough Bolster Nesting Dog Bed||Small or medium|
|Best Budget||SportPet Designs Waterproof Pet Bed||20-46 inches|
|Best Washable||PupProtector Waterproof Dog Blanket||One-size|
|Best Outdoor||BarkBox Outdoor All Weather Pet Bed||Medium, large or extra-large|
|Best for Orthopedic||Bedsure Large Orthopedic Dog Bed||Small, medium, large and extra-large|
*Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5 and based on reviews, feedback, and opinions of actual customers
In This Article
Who Should Buy a Waterproof Dog Bed
- Pet parents of puppies or senior dogs – Old and young dogs are more likely to suffer incontinence in their sleep. A waterproof bed will keep the mattress or filling inside from getting soiled.
- People with dogs who drool a lot – Some dogs drool excessively, which can seep inside beds and make them smell bad. This isn’t an issue with waterproof beds.
- Anyone who needs a dog bed for outdoor use – If your dog like to spend time lounging in the yard and you’re looking for a comfortable outdoor bed, a waterproof one is the best choice. This means it won’t absorb moisture from damp ground or get soaked by an unexpected shower.
Who Should Not Buy a Waterproof Dog Bed
- Pet parents who are happy with their dog’s bed – If your dog already has a perfectly good bed, there’s no need to buy another.
- People with dogs who might be scared of crinkly covers – The waterproof layer often makes a slight crinkling sound when dogs move around, and some nervous pooches don’t like this.
Research Tips (from a Veterinarian)
I’m often asked by clients how to find the best products for their pets. Consider your dog’s age, breed, size, and health status when buying and consult your veterinarian which features might be good for your dog if you’re unsure. Talk to friends and family who are pet parents to learn what types of waterproof pet beds have worked well for them. Closely read product descriptions to avoid unpleasant surprises. Lastly, looking at customer reviews posted on trusted sources can give you an idea of how satisfied pet parents are with their purchase.
- Check the washability – Machine washable beds or at least a removable, machine washable cover simplifies clean up.
- Consider how durable a dog bed is – If your dog is a chewer or a digger, make sure the bed you pick can stand up to some abuse.
- Find the right size – Purchase a bed that’s big enough for your dog to comfortably stretch out. Measure your dog if you’re not sure which size is right.
- Think about why you want a waterproof bed – Some are designed to withstand outdoor elements while others are meant to protect against spills or incontinence.
How Much Do They Cost?
Between $20 and $200
Waterproof beds for dogs can cost anywhere from $20-$200. The cheapest beds are usually thin and not all that supportive, while the most expensive are large with orthopedic memory foam mattresses.
Our Methodology: Why Trust Pet Digest
As a veterinarian, I’m often asked about pet products and I know which features are important to look for in a dog bed. Comfort and support should be key considerations when selecting a bed. Memory foam is a great choice for all dogs, but especially for senior dogs to avoid joint pain. When selecting my top picks, I also paid attention to factors such as the range of sizes available and how easy each bed was to clean. – Dr. Jennifer Coates, DVM
The Best Waterproof Dog Bed: Full Reviews
The K9 Ballistics Tough Bolster Nesting Dog Bed is a shredded foam mattress with bolsters for ultimate comfort. The memory foam interior is supportive yet still feels confortable, since it’s made from shredded chips of memory foam rather than one solid piece. The bolster is great for dogs who like to rest their head on or lean up against something as they sleep.
You can choose from either a small size that measures 18 by 24 inches or a medium size that measures 27 by 33 inches. It comes in four colors: black, blue, green and tan.
- Resistant to chewing, scratching and digging
- Comes with 120-day damage warranty
- Waterproof cover that is easy to clean and machine washable
- It’s on the pricier side of the spectrum
- Although it’s durable, it isn’t indestructible
The SportPet Designs Waterproof Pet Bed might not be the plushest of dog beds, but it’s perfect for crates and travel kennels, though you can also use it on floors. It comes in six sizes, the smallest measuring 20 inches long and the largest measuring 46 inches long.
The underside of the bed has a waterproof layer, so it’s ideal when your primary concern is damp ground making the bed wet, or to prevent urine from leaking out of the bed.
- More comfortable than typical crate mat
- Features a waterproof liner on bottom, topped with polyfill and soft fleece cover for comfort
- Entire bed is machine washable
- Only comes in one color
- Only the underside of the bed is waterproof
While the PupProtector Waterproof Dog Blanket isn’t technically a bed it solves a particular issue. Sometimes your dog already has a comfortable dog bed that you like, aside from the fact it isn’t waterproof. In these cases, you can cover your dog bed with this waterproof blanket, adding a waterproof layer that’s quick and easy to wash and dry.
The top of the blanket is made from extremely soft and cozy faux fur, which dogs love to rest on. You can choose from four colors: white, gray, black cow print or brown cow print.
- It’s easy cleaning in the washing machine as there’s no cover to remove and replace
- Ideal for use on furniture or to cover existing dog bed
- Looks like stylish throw blanket but has waterproof internal lining
- It’s expensive but it looks good
- The fibers of the faux fur shed a little at first
If you’re looking for a comfortable outdoor dog bed, the BarkBox Outdoor All Weather Pet Bed is the perfect choice. It’s waterproof on all sides, so it protects against rainfall and keeps moisture from seeping in through the ground. The outer material is a durable 600D Oxford fabric.
Although you shouldn’t leave it outside indefinitely, it’s great to put outside when your dog wants to hang in the yard for long periods, or lounge in a sunny spot. You can choose from medium, large and extra-large sizes and three colors: green, blue or red.
- Features 3 inches of gel memory foam and high density pressure relieving foam for comfort
- Waterproof cover is easily cleaned by wiping or rinsing
- Waterproof zipper prevents leakage into foam
- It’s only suitable for spot cleaning, not machine washing
- You shouldn’t leave it outdoors for long periods
The Bedsure Orthopedic Dog Bed is ideal for older dogs, slender dogs who find it tough to get comfortable on thinner beds, and those with arthritis or other joint problems. It’s made from comfortable memory foam that molds to the body and reduces pressure points, on top of firmer support foam.
Not only is the cover removable and machine washable, but it also has a plush top for extra comfort. It’s available in sizes small to extra-large and three colors: khaki, gray and reef waters blue.
- Machine washable cover
- Non-skid bottom keeps it from sliding around in hard floors
- 100% waterproof inner liner to protect memory foam
- Sizes are smaller than some buyers expect to check dimensions
- Cover could be more durable
Frequently Asked Questions
Are waterproof dog beds good?
Can you wash a waterproof dog bed?
How do you make a dog bed waterproof?
Do dog beds smell?